Appropriately labeled contact aerosol sprays can be very effective for controlling stinging insects in residential, commercial and institutional areas, including decks and patios, playgrounds, docks, outdoor refuse areas, attics and other environments.
For optimal results:
- Apply the spray to insect nests during dawn or dusk, when insect activity is low and colony members are present within the nests.
- Stand a safe distance away from the nest, upwind of the nest site.
- Apply product until the nest is thoroughly saturated, to ensure the entire population is eliminated.
- Twenty-four hours later, inspect the nest site to ensure all stinging pests have been killed.
- Wait until no further activity has been observed to remove any nests.
from Pest Management Professional https://www.mypmp.net/2018/11/08/using-aerosol-sprays-for-controlling-stinging-insects/